A common question in our Facebook group is which documents need an apostille and which need a sworn translation for the Spanish Digital Nomad Visa. This can be confusing due to changing requirements. This article aims to clarify the process and provide clear guidance on obtaining apostilles and certified translations. Understanding these requirements helps applicants ensure their paperwork is in order, avoiding delays or complications.

What is an Apostille?

An apostille is a certification that verifies the authenticity of a document for use in another country. Originating from the Hague Convention of 1961, the apostille is an internationally recognized form of notarization aimed at simplifying the legalization process. It confirms that the signature, seal, and position of a public official on a document are genuine. To obtain an apostille, you typically need to bring the document to the relevant government authority in your home country, such as the Secretary of State's office in the US, where it will be authenticated and then affixed with an apostille certificate.

What is a Spanish Sworn Translation?

A Spanish sworn translation, also known as a "traducción jurada," is an officially certified translation of a document by a translator who is authorized by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This type of translation includes an attestation by the sworn translator, affixing their stamp and signature to certify that the translation is an accurate and faithful rendition of the original document.

Spain Digital Nomad Visa Document List

Documents Requiring an Apostille

  • Police Record Certificate (required for the country where you've been a resident for the past two years)
  • Certificate of Incorporation/Good Standing (for your client or employer)
  • Marriage Certificate/Birth Certificates (required only if you are bringing your spouse or children).

If any of the above documents are issued within the European Union, they theoretically should not require an apostille if they are a special kind of EU multilingual document known as the "Multilingual Standard Form." These documents are recognized across member states and are designed to simplify cross-border administrative procedures, thus eliminating the need for an apostille.

Documents Requiring Sworn Translations

  • Police Record Certificate (for the country where you've been living for the past two years)
  • Certificate of Incorporation/Good Standing
  • Marriage Certificate/Birth Certificates (only if you are bringing your spouse or children)
  • The apostilles for any of the above documents if not in Spanish
  • Your qualification (university/college degree) if applicable
  • Client/Employment Contract
  • Client/Employer Letter
  • Letters proving 3 years of work experience

Documents Not Requiring Sworn Translations

  • Passport: A copy of every page of your passport.
  • Application Form (Mi_T)
  • CV (must be written in Spanish)
  • Bank Statements
  • A1 form (occasionally a translation is requested)
  • S1 form
  • Payslips
  • Invoices
  • Any documents already in Spanish. 

Get a Digital Nomad Visa Quote

To receive an accurate quote for your Digital Nomad Visa, please fill in the contact form below with your details. We look forward to helping you make your dream of becoming a digital nomad in Spain a reality. Safe travels! 

About the Author Louise Carr

I'm a UK-Spain cross-border tax specialist. After qualifying at PwC in the UK, I moved to Spain and continued my studies. My work focuses on tax matters and advising expats.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}